Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Praying the name of God and the power of His presence.


A few weeks back my three year old son, Maverick, started noticing how often people say “God” in their prayers. He would tell them, “you said God a lot of times!” He then started doing the same thing when he would pray, except, unlike an adult prayer, he would leave out all of the rest of the prayer. He would just say, “I want to say ‘God’ seven times!” and would just say God repeatedly. I did not know that Maverick was doing this with Kyle too, so for the last several weeks my three year old son has just been praying the name of God. Today I think he must be more sanctified than the rest of us. On Sunday our pastor spoke about how God had been showing him the importance of praying for the presence of the Lord in the midst of our hardships.

I cried in prayer, realizing that I often do not pray through something because I simply feel like words are not enough to bring before God. I prayed for His presence instead. I prayed the name of God and asked for His presence and that was all. It was so powerful. It was powerful because it is biblical and it was just what I needed.

In the exodus God promised his people, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest” (Ex. 33:14). I am so thankful for the rest of God that can only be found in the peace of knowing His presence is with us.

The Psalms beautifully describe, “in your presence there is fullness of joy” (Ps. 16:11).

Praying the names and attributes of God reaffirms to us who He is and what He has done.

That He is Jehovah, the one who possesses all authority.

That He is Jehovah-M’Kaddesh, the God who sanctifies.

That He is infinite and omnipotent.

That He is good and He is love.

That He is Jehovah-jireh, the God who provides.

That He is Jehovah-shalom, the God who brings peace.

That He is immutable, transcendent, just, and holy.

That He is Jehovah-rophe, the God who heals.

That He is self-sufficient, omnipresent, and omniscient.

That He is merciful and sovereign.

That He is Adonai, master of all.

That He is Elohim, strength and power.

That He is Jehovah-nissi, God our banner.

That He is our comforter.

That He is El-Shaddai, God almighty.

That He is the answer to all of our prayers; In the name of God and in His holy presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment